Thursday, January 15, 2015

A comment by Boofle (Lofaday) !

Indeed, VB6 is the most rapid RAD out there by a long shot. Microsoft (MS) have lost all sense of consistency, led by the nose by a new class of snobbish, bloatware loving, fascist ("do as we say") "programmers" of the ilk that global corporations love (most India based now), who simply don't want to see individuals and small companies intuitively making reliable, profitable programs overnight. MS successfully crushed my small business product stream with this campaign losing me millions. So I have had to change (I still use VB6 for RAD) and now I use Python (a cross between C and basic). And guess what? That means I am no longer tethered to MS treachery. Win win for me. Do MS care? No, their bigotry is so ingrained, they continue their mad lemming march towards falling sales. The corporate consultants to whom I report no longer care whether it is 32b, 64b, VB6, VB.net, C#... they know practicality has been "cast asunder" my MS belligerents -- they know, because they scratch their heads in disbelief as they are expected to provide system operators and data entry clerks with software that looks more at home on the Xbox or a mobile phone... Windows 8. I predict in 10 years time there will be a new OS giant (perhaps Andriod, but they also fail consistency) and MS will be another struggling corporate systems supplier alongside IBM. A VB6 replacement is much needed. Perhaps when a decent IDE comes to Python, that is it. Oh but what am I talking about? A genuine VB6 upgrade would have me going back to MS overnight..


2 comments:

  1. Great to see continued support for VB6. I'm now retired, but I still do programming. Keeps my mind active. I only use VB6, having grown up with QuickBASIC, PDS 7.1, VB1/2/3/4/5 and now 6. This morning I happened to take a look at some guy's VB.Net code for Sudoku, and while I understand most of it, I'd have to install VB.Net to understand all of it. The bits I don't understand seem arcane in the extreme. So, here's to another decade of VB6! Microsoft doesn't dare kill it off entirely. There are far too many businesses, governments and other organisations around the world that depend upon it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visual Basic 6.0 is supported until at least November 2027:

      http://vb6awards.blogspot.com/2017/06/visual-basic-60-is-supported-until-at.html

      Delete